Friday, October 10, 2008

Flushing the Toilet

So, this might sound really odd but one of the things I am doing to live within my ecological means is following a simple saying that was above the toilet in a friends house when I was growing up...it goes something like this...

"If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down."

Now, I don't know how much water I am saving the planet by doing this but, I do know that our toilet uses a lot of water and my philosophy is that every little bit helps...so, make up a song teach it to your partner, kids, friends, whatever...have fun with it and when guests come over...don't worry about the fact that there is yellow water in your toilet...just teach them about ecology and let them know that you are doing your best to save the environment.

I am thinking that if we only flush the toilet every 5 times or so, that we are saving our earth at least a little bit...thanks and heres to thinking creatively about living in peace with our planet.

2 comments:

sustainableElaine said...

Hi Missy et al,
I like your if it's yellow post and agree that it doesn't take much to think of ways to reduce water use. I handwash most of my clothes in the bathroom sink at night before heading to bed. I use very little water and am amazed how I mainly use the washing machine for sheets and towels now.
And I like to focus my thoughts on the earth as I'm doing this.

Carlynn said...

Actually, here in Salt Lake,
we use far more water on our yards
(assuming our toliets don't leak).
So going xeriscape, using now legal rain barrels, making sure not to over-water, etc, can do more.
Even flushing every other 'yellow' time does help, tho.